What is Exercise is Medicine?
Exercise is Medicine (EIM) is a global initiative launched in 2007 by the American Medical Association and the American College of Sports Medicine, recognizes that many things prevent people being physically active. EIM encourages physical activity by creating a dialogue between people and their healthcare providers about the importance of being physically active. Healthcare providers participating in EIM write prescriptions for increased amounts of weekly physical activity and refer people to a member of the EIM Referral Network based on their needs and preferences. EIM Referral Network members are community-based exercise providers and locations, including parks and gyms.
Our ProgramThe Alliance’s EIM program aims to improve the health of Chatham County residents by preventing and reducing the effects of chronic disease through physical activity. Chatham County EIM are goals to:
• Increase physical activity, with ultimate goal of 150 minutes per week
• Improve health and functioning through weight loss and chronic disease management
• Reduce healthcare costs through disease prevention and management
Prescribing SitesWe are currently piloting the EIM model at Piedmont Health Services’s Siler City Community Health Center. Once the pilot is complete, we will begin offering EIM to additional providers across Chatham County.
If you are a provider, and are interested in learning more about EIM in Chatham County, contact email@example.com or call 919-545-8443.
The Exercise is Medicine Referral Network
• Central Carolina Community College
• Chatham County Cooperative Extension
• Chatham County Council on Aging
• Chatham County Parks and Recreation
• Chatham County Public Health Department
• Chatham Hospital
• Chatham YMCA
• Chiseled Gym and Nutrition
• Duke Center for Living
• Joy of Movement Studio
• Ladies Fitness
• O2 Fitness
• Pittsboro Parks and Recreation
• Siler City Parks and Recreation
• Snap Fitness
• Triangle Fitness
• Triangle Land Conservancy
• Zone Fitness and Tan
If you are an exercise resource located in Chatham County, and are interested in being a part of the Exercise is Medicine Referral Network, contact Laura Hearn, Project Manager for the Obesity Subcommittee at 919-545-8362 or firstname.lastname@example.org.