Chatham Seeks Applicants for New Affordable Housing Advisory Committee
In August, the Chatham County Board of Commissioners approved the formation of a new Affordable Housing Advisory Committee. The county needs applicants for the committee, which will make recommendations to improve affordable housing resources in the county.
The committee’s main responsibilities are:
- Reviewing affordable housing policies and procedures and providing recommendations to the county;
- Understanding and implementing priorities of the Chatham County Affordable Rental Housing Strategy Toolbox;
- Assisting with development of additional strategies to support affordable homeownership opportunities and transitional housing in Chatham County;
- Helping with promotion of affordable housing opportunities, such as fair housing workshops, requests for proposals, and surveys; and
- Updating county commissioners through an annual report.
The committee will have 12 members representing diverse interests in the community. The initial appointees will have terms ranging from one to three years, with three-year terms thereafter. The deadline to apply is Monday, Sept. 18. 2017 at 5 pm.
Members must be residents of Chatham County and preferably represent one or more of these interests: social services, public health, transportation, finance, economic development, design/architecture, and urban & regional planning.
The county also hopes to get applicants who are:
- Older adults
- Property managers or landlords
- Faith-based service providers
- Residents of a mobile home park
- Representatives of each of the five County Commissioner Election Districts
The towns of Siler City, Pittsboro and Goldston will each have an appointment as well.
To view an online application form and a map of County Commissioner Districts, visit www.chathamnc.org/CommitteeAppointments. Submit your application no later than 5 pm on Sept. 18, 2017.